Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sugar Free Caramel

So my Gender and Women's Studies 445 professor asked us to do presentations and they could range from personal stories about our bodies to a cultural artifact that relates to things we've learned in class. I wrote a poem about myself and at the request of my persistent blonde roommate, I decided to post it here.

Hope you enjoy. 

~Sugar Free Caramel~
By Katie Hands

My father is black and my mother is white
That makes me dark but it also makes me light
I change like the seasons, getting colder and getting warmer
Does that mean I am my father in the summer and my mother in the winter?
People try to identify me
While I struggle to identify myself

My parents see color and so do I
I see it in plain sight while others pretend it doesn't exist
They tell me they are blind to color
And I almost feel sorry for them
A world without color must literally be dull

I see my two families and the colors they bring to the table
One family is in the dark while one family is in the light
Although under closer inspection we look relatively the same
It's said that the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters
That we all have light and dark inside of us
Does it matter if mine is seen on the outside too?

Color almost exists in a world of it's own
Where "white" dabbles in polygamy
Married to privilege, access and opportunity
While "black" stays monogamous
Settling down beside prejudice
Ironically society frowns upon the former lifestyle choice

If culture sees my mother as light and radiant
They does it see my father as dark and sinister?
Are they a non theatrical version of Beauty and the Beast?
But then what does that make me?
Am I Glinda the Good Witch when it's 40 degrees
And the Wicked Witch when it's 70?

If I were forced to choose a side
I don't think I could
I can't simply pick a white tree out of a black forest
Or a speck of black sand scattered on a white beach
 Besides, I don't think it would be fair
To choose one over the other

You combine black with white paint and you end up with grey
But the mirror shows me I am not grey
But a simple reflection
A reflection of what society deems safe and what it deems deviant
A reflection of my mother and of my father
Of their bravery, care and love

I am not grey but a reflection
A reflection of myself
My shadow roams free in the sun but it hides in the shade
There is golden hair under the sun and dark hair in the cover of night
I see my father's curls and my mother's ears
My mother's hands and my father's eyes

I am not grey but the offspring
Of opposite ends of the spectrum
I am my mother and I am my father
Thanks to them I can see me

No comments:

Post a Comment